after helping to devise the signage for the two previous editions of flip (literary festival of paraty), in 2013, for the first time, we were responsible for the whole project.
the architectural plan of the tent area made ample use of scaffolding, so we decided to adopt this as the support for the signage.
we also proposed dispensing with digital printing in favor of silkscreen on plywood. the idea was to reduce the number of colors in each piece, and we used that economy to heighten the color-coding of the festival’s different programs.
The scaffold structure enabled us to create modules in various sizes, depending on the needs of each situation, and to standardize the size of the panels. In the end, we opted for just two formats.
the negativized print ensured that the color held sway, which allowed us to clearly distinguish the different modules.
here is a view of one of the modules in front of the main tent.
expanding on the color system, we suggested tall flags as a vertical element that played off the scale of the tents and could be seen even from the other side of the river.
The content was grouped on different panels—program, map, sponsors, flip logo, illustration.
the panels facing the main circulation area were used to identify the tent, list the program and present the map and directions.
As many panel spaces were left empty, the structure maintained a certain transparency.
one of the sides was always earmarked for jeff fischer, who produces an illustration for each edition of the festival.
the panels were fixed together using u-bolts and wire running down the margins of each module.
here is the identification and program for the children’s tent, the largest one.
In the main square, the historical center of paraty, we erected a module carrying information about the activities taking place there
at the casa da cultura (culture house), a historical building that hosts various events on the program, the colors were mixed in an arrangement that dispensed with the scaffolding.
we found that this system worked well, and that printing directly onto wood produced surprising results, making the signage more interesting in material terms.
the main problem in the project was the scaffold structure. the architecture abandoned this structure when it was too late for us to change the signage. So we ended up with a heavy structure that didn’t dialogue much with the rest.